At Austin Helicopter Training, we use the Enstrom F-28F piston-powered helicopter for all flight training (www.enstromhelicopter.com). The shape of the F28F cockpit, placement of controls, and arrangement of windows affords an excellent, continuous, panoramic view for both pilot and passengers. The large spacious cabin accommodates three people comfortably in it’s 61 inch wide cabin, and the cabin is easily configured for dual controls. The F-28F is powered by a Textron Lycoming HIO-360-F1AD piston engine which is specially strengthened to handle the addition of a turbo-charger. Enstrom’s piston helicopters are the only turbo-charged helicopters produced in the world today. They maintain sea level performance to 12,000 ft, outperforming all piston competitors. The F-28F is extremely comfortable to fly and features large, wide-opening doors, spectacular visibility and extraordinary roominess. The safety and reliability of the F-28 has made it popular among flight schools, businesses, and law enforcement agencies. Pictures of our F-28F aircraft (Tail Number N128T) are shown below:
Direct, non-boosted controls provide a solid yet responsive feel. Enstrom’s legendary smooth and stable ride, along with standard electric trim, means that pilots can fly all day without getting tired. Removable controls, standard inertia reel harnesses, and features like removable doors make the F28F a practical and enjoyable place to perform any mission; in any environment.
- The Lycoming HIO-360-F1AD 4 cylinder, fuel injected, turbocharged piston engine provides an extremely lightweight and reliable 225 continuous horsepower.
- Small displacement coupled with a turbocharger saves weight while providing plenty of power; increasing baggage space and useful load.
- The turbocharger maintains full horse power from sea level to 12,000 feet.
- Hot/high operations at gross weight are not a problem.
- Unlimited airframe life. Only 9 life-limited parts on the entire helicopter.
- Low part prices and excellent availability.
- Transmission overhauls available on an exchange basis for fixed, reasonable prices.
- Easy maintenance accessibility.
- Extensive international network of service centers and dealers with unparalleled factory support.
- Time proven; fully articulated main rotor system. Over four million flight hours without a catastrophic failure.
- Low disc loading and high rotor inertia yield outstanding auto rotational capability.
- An unblocked, high thrust, tail rotor system provides excellent directional control with no Loss of Tailrotor Effectiveness (LTE)
- Uses many of the same components as the bigger, heavier Turbine model.